- VRI KP Peshawar
- LR&D KP Peshawar
- Planning And Development : Cell
- Animal Common Diseases
- Animal Disease Vaccines
- Livestock Information
- Notifications / Orders
- TENDERS 2018-19
- Clean & Green Pakistan
· Veterinary Research Institute was established in 1949 to undertake essential research on livestock and poultry diseases, its diagnosis and production of Veterinary Biologics and diagnostic agents.
· FOUR Veterinary Research and Diagnostic Laboratories (VR&DL) at D.I. Khan, Swat, Mansehra and Kohat were established during 1988-91 to extend research and diagnostic facilities to the remote areas. At 2014 FMDRC VRI Peshawar was established to control the crucial Foot & Mouth Disease of the animals.
· In 1978-79 Livestock Research and Development Farm Surezai was established. It has now been converted into a full Directorate of Livestock Research and Development (DLR&D) and now five research stations in Peshawar, D.I. Khan, Kohat, Dir (Lower) and Mansehra have been established to provide different kind of services to livestock farmers.
· Under the restructuring of Livestock and Dairy Development Department, a Four Tier Formula was implemented in 2008. As a result the Research Wing of the Department, consisting of Veterinary Research Institute and Livestock Research & Development got Director General (BS-20) apart from up-gradation of Director LRD to BS-20 and creation of other BS-19 and BS-18 posts. The post of Director VRI, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Peshawar, being the senior most in hierarchy, was upgraded to DG. However the Director LR&D was downgraded to BS-19 in 2010.
Role of Livestock
· Play important role in our economy
· Income, protein, employment, draft power and fertilization
· 30-35m rural population attach to this sector having 2-3 cattle/buffalo or 5-6 goat/sheep
· Earning 30-40% income from livestock production activities.
· Livestock sector contributes 55% of the agriculture and11.8% to National GDP
· 12.3% of total exports derived from livestock
· Turn over of the livestock sector in 2011-12 was Rs. 756 and 2012-13 was 776 billion with GR of 4.0%
? Low production and reproduction efficiency
? Epidemics of infectious diseases
? Small-holders production system
? Shortage of feed resources
? Lack of organize marketing system
? Inadequate Institutional Infrastructure
? Outdated regulatory framework